This is an archive of papers published by the staff and faculty of Fox Chase Cancer Center. For questions about content, please contact Talbot Research Library
Last updated on
Nunez MI , Rosen DG , Ludes-Meyers JH , Abba MC , Kil H , Page R , Klein-Szanto AJ , Godwin AK , Liu J , Mills GB , Aldaz CM
WWOX protein expression varies among ovarian carcinoma histotypes and correlates with less favorable outcome
BMC Cancer. 2005 ;5(1) :64
PMID: 15982416 URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=15982416
AbstractBACKGROUND: The putative tumor suppressor WWOX gene spans the common chromosomal fragile site 16D (FRA16D) at chromosome area 16q23.3-24.1. This region is a frequent target for loss of heterozygosity and chromosomal rearrangement in ovarian, breast, hepatocellular, prostate carcinomas and other neoplasias. The goal of these studies was to evaluate WWOX protein expression levels in ovarian carcinomas to determine if they correlated with clinico-pathological parameters, thus providing additional support for WWOX functioning as a tumor suppressor. METHODS: We performed WWOX protein expression analyses by means of immunobloting and immunohistochemistry on normal ovaries and specific human ovarian carcinoma Tissue Microarrays (n = 444). Univariate analysis of clinical-pathological parameters based on WWOX staining was determined by chi2 test with Yates' correction. The basic significance level was fixed at p < 0.05. RESULTS: Immunoblotting analysis from normal ovarian samples demonstrated consistently strong WWOX expression while 37% ovarian carcinomas showed reduced or undetectable WWOX protein expression levels. The immunohistochemistry of normal human ovarian tissue sections confirmed strong WWOX expression in ovarian surface epithelial cells and in epithelial inclusion cysts within the cortex. Out of 444 ovarian carcinoma samples analyzed 30% of tumors showed lack of or barely detectable WWOX expression. The remaining ovarian carcinomas (70%) stained moderately to strongly positive for this protein. The two histotypes showing significant loss of WWOX expression were of the Mucinous (70%) and Clear Cell (42%) types. Reduced WWOX expression demonstrated a significant association with clinical Stage IV (FIGO) (p = 0.007), negative Progesterone Receptor (PR) status (p = 0.008) and shorter overall survival (p = 0.03). CONCLUSION: These data indicate that WWOX protein expression is highly variable among ovarian carcinoma histotypes. It was also observed that subsets of ovarian tumors demonstrated loss of WWOX expression and is potentially associated with patient outcome.
NotesNunez, Maria I Rosen, Daniel G Ludes-Meyers, John H Abba, Martin C Kil, Hyunsuk Page, Robert Klein-Szanto, Andres J P Godwin, Andrew K Liu, Jinsong Mills, Gordon B Aldaz, C Marcelo ES-07784/ES/United States NIEHS P01 CA64602/CA/United States NCI P50 CA83639/CA/United States NCI R01 CA102444/CA/United States NCI Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. England BMC cancer BMC Cancer. 2005 Jun 27;5(1):64.